Explore the Mortgage101 Library
Check Local Mortgage Rates
Loan Program Choices
Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator
Investment property mortgages are usually taken out to finance a structure that the borrower does not reside in on a permanent basis. The interest rate can be higher than on a standard mortgage loan, and the down payment amount may also be higher. Once you know the monthly payment for your loan, you can use that figure to help arrive at an amount to charge the occupants for rent.
Investment Property Mortgages
Most lenders require you to have excellent credit and a solid employment history to qualify for an investment property mortgage. If you are hit with a vacancy, rent payments will no longer cover the mortgage loan. Many lenders want you to have excess capital available in case you happen to suffer from a temporary shortfall in rental income.
Ask your lender the down payment amount they require for the purchase of your investment property. You will also need to determine the amount of rent to charge, which should cover the mortgage loan payment and include an allowance for potential repairs needed on the property.
Consult with your accountant to determine the tax benefits from your investment property mortgage. This may help you decide on the rental amount to charge your tenants.
- 3 Factors that Can Negatively Affect Your Mortgage Application
- What To Do When Mortgages Default
- FHA Loans for a First-Time Home Buyer
- 3 Reasons Banks Reject Short Sales
- FHA Eligibility with Bankruptcy and Foreclosure
- How to Get Approved for an FHA Loan despite Bad Credit
- Low Down Payment Loan Qualification
- Alternatives to Getting a 2nd Mortgage
- 3 Warning Signs of Loan Modification Scams