Explore the Mortgage101 Library
Check Local Mortgage Rates
Loan Program Choices
Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator
Very often, homebuyers do not understand the difference between a mortgage broker and a loan officer. A loan officer works directly for a lender while a broker is an independent party that does not work for anyone. In this way a broker can seek out loans from many different parties.
What is a Loan Officer?
A loan officer works directly for a bank or other lender; therefore a loan officer often considers the best interest of their employer, not the homebuyer. A loan officer is not required to have a license to work in the mortgage industry.
What is a Mortgage Broker?
A mortgage broker, on the other hand, must be licensed. They are an independent worker that acts as the “middle man” between the homebuyer and the lender. Mortgage brokers are recommended for homebuyers with poor credit or those wanting to negotiate the best terms on their loan. Mortgage brokers do not get paid unless they close on a mortgage; therefore, they will work diligently to provide the borrower with a satisfactory loan.
Should I Work with a Loan Officer or a Mortgage Broker?
One benefit of working with a loan officer is that there is no “middle man.” This often results in a speedier loan process because documents do not have to pass through an extra source. Mortgage brokers, however, can provide more mortgage options for borrowers because they are not tied to a single lender.
- Home Equity Loans for People with Bad Credit
- 3 Factors that Can Negatively Affect Your Mortgage Application
- How to Get Approved for an FHA Loan despite Bad Credit
- FHA Eligibility with Bankruptcy and Foreclosure
- Second Mortgages: Advantages and Disadvantages
- What To Do When Mortgages Default
- Short Selling a Rental Property
- Alternatives to Getting a 2nd Mortgage
- What Lenders Don't Reveal About Home Equity Loans