Explore the Mortgage101 Library
Check Local Mortgage Rates
Loan Program Choices
Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator
The loan approval process generally begins with an initial interview where you and the mortgage professional meet to discuss the potential loan. You will need to bring information to verify your income and long term debts.
You may prefer to meet with the mortgage company before house hunting to determine in advance >how much you can afford and the mortgage amount for which you can qualify. This step is called pre-qualification and can save you time and trouble by making certain you are looking in the correct price range.
- To complete the 1003 Mortgage Application you will need to gather:
- A purchase contract for the house (if you have one)
- Your bank account numbers and the address of your bank branch along with checking and savings account statements for the previous 2-3 months
- Pay stubs W2 withholding forms tax returns for two years or other proof of employment and income verification
- Credit card bills for the past few billing periods or canceled checks for rent or utility bill payments to show payment history and amount of revolving debt
- Information on other consumer debt such as car loans furniture loans student loans and retail credit cards
- Balance sheets and tax returns if you are self-employed
- Any gift letters if you are using a gift from a parent or relative or other organization to help pay the down payment and/or closing costs. This letter simply states that the money is in fact a gift and will not have to be repaid.
Having these items on hand when you visit the mortgage company will help speed up the application process. Usually an application fee and the appraisal fee will have to be paid when you submit the mortgage application. After the initial meeting with the mortgage company you should have a general idea if you qualify for the size and type of loan you want. After the mortgage application the mortgage company should let you know if you qualify for the loan within days.
- What To Do When Mortgages Default
- Low Down Payment Loan Qualification
- FHA Loans for a First-Time Home Buyer
- 3 Reasons Banks Reject Short Sales
- 3 Common Short Sale Mistakes
- 3 Warning Signs of Loan Modification Scams
- What Lenders Don't Reveal About Home Equity Loans
- FHA Eligibility with Bankruptcy and Foreclosure
- How to Get Approved for an FHA Loan despite Bad Credit