Explore the Mortgage101 Library
Check Local Mortgage Rates
Today's Average 4.51%
Loan Program Choices
Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator
- Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility.
A veteran who doesn't have a certificate can obtain one easily by completing VA Form 26-1880 Request for a Certificate of Eligibility for VA Home Loan Benefits and submitting it to one of the Eligibility Centers with copies of your most recent discharge or separation papers covering active military duty since September 161940 which show active duty dates and type of discharge.
- Decide on a home to buy and sign a purchase agreement
- Order an appraisal from VA. (Usually this is done by the lender.)
Most VA regional offices offer a "speed up" telephone appraisal system. Call the local VA office for details.
- Apply for a VA loan.
While the appraisal is being done the lender (mortgage company savings and loan bank etc.) can be gathering credit and income information. If the lender is authorized by VA to do automatic processing upon receipt of the VA or LAPP appraised value determination the loan can be approved and closed without waiting for VA's review of the credit application. For loans that must first be approved by VA the lender will send the application to the local VA office which will notify the lender of its decision.
- Close the loan and move in.
- Short Selling a Rental Property
- How to Get Approved for an FHA Loan despite Bad Credit
- 3 Factors that Can Negatively Affect Your Mortgage Application
- What To Do When Mortgages Default
- 3 Common Short Sale Mistakes
- Low Down Payment Loan Qualification
- Alternatives to Getting a 2nd Mortgage
- What Lenders Don't Reveal About Home Equity Loans
- Should You Refinance? Make Sure the Timing is Right