Explore the Mortgage101 Library
Check Local Mortgage Rates
Loan Program Choices
Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator
Assumable mortgages can be very beneficial for both buyers and sellers other property. Here are a few potential benefits of assumable mortgages.
If you are a potential buyer, an assumable mortgage could provide you with a lower interest rate than what is available in the market. If the original mortgage was written whenever market interest rates were lower, you will be able to assume that interest rate and save yourself some money when compared to what you could find in the market.
If you are a buyer, you will also be able to avoid paying for closing costs with a new mortgage. These closing costs can be thousands of dollars, so this could be a significant savings for you.
If you are the seller with an assumable mortgage, you can also benefit from this transaction as well. When you offer an assumable mortgage with a property, you are going to be able to charge more money for this transaction. You are not just selling a house, but you are also selling a potentially favorable loan for the buyer. They are going to have to pay a premium on the sales price if they want to take advantage of your lower interest rate.
- 3 Common Short Sale Mistakes
- Short Selling a Rental Property
- 3 Factors that Can Negatively Affect Your Mortgage Application
- Home Equity Loans for People with Bad Credit
- What Lenders Don't Reveal About Home Equity Loans
- How to Get Approved for an FHA Loan despite Bad Credit
- FHA Eligibility with Bankruptcy and Foreclosure
- Should You Refinance? Make Sure the Timing is Right
- FHA Loans for a First-Time Home Buyer