Fixing Credit Report Errors

Mortgage Newsletter
Privacy Policy

Check Local Mortgage Rates

Today's Average 0.00%



Loan Program Choices

Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator


You have the right, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to dispute the completeness and accuracy of information in your credit file.

When a credit reporting agency receives a dispute it must reinvestigate and record the current status of the disputed items within a "reasonable period of time unless it believes the dispute is frivolous or irrelevant." If the credit reporting agency cannot verify a disputed item it must delete it. If your report contains erroneous information the credit reporting agency must correct it. If an item is incomplete the credit reporting agency must complete it.

For example if your file shows that you were late in making payments on accounts but fails to show that you are no longer delinquent the credit reporting agency must show that your payments are now current. If your file shows an account that belongs to another person the credit reporting agency would have to delete it. Also at your request the credit reporting agency must send a notice of correction to any report recipient who has checked your file in the past six months.

For items in your credit profile which you feel deserve further explanation (such as an account that was paid late due to the loss of job military call up or unexpected medical bills) you can send a brief statement to the appropriate credit reporting agency. The information will be placed in your credit profile and will be disclosed each time it is accessed.