Explore the Mortgage101 Library
Check Local Mortgage Rates
Loan Program Choices
Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator
An option ARM loan is a type of adjustable rate mortgage that allows buyers a flexible repayment period. This type of mortgage has exploded in recent years and millions of people now have them. This type of loan has some advantages and disadvantages. Here are the pros and cons of option ARM loans.
- Affordable payments - An option ARM loan will help lower your monthly payments initially and make them affordable.
- Flexibility - You can choose to reduce or increase your monthly payment schedules, depending on your personal financial circumstances.
- Negative equity - Only paying interest will result in a higher loan balance to pay off in the end because the negative amount is added to your loan balance.
- Growing payments - Because the rates are adjustable, your monthly payment could increase drastically over the years.
- FHA Eligibility with Bankruptcy and Foreclosure
- What To Do When Mortgages Default
- What Lenders Don't Reveal About Home Equity Loans
- Second Mortgages: Advantages and Disadvantages
- Alternatives to Getting a 2nd Mortgage
- 3 Reasons Banks Reject Short Sales
- Low Down Payment Loan Qualification
- Short Selling a Rental Property
- Should You Refinance? Make Sure the Timing is Right