Explore the Mortgage101 Library
Check Local Mortgage Rates
Loan Program Choices
Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator
Portable mortgages are a type of mortgage loan that you can move from one property to the next. This type of mortgage can be very beneficial to those that move around frequently. Here are the basics of portable mortgages and some of their advantages.
With this type of mortgage, you are not going to have to take out a new loan every time you change houses. You can actually keep the same mortgage at the same interest rate every time that you purchase a property. Typically, these mortgages carry with them a slightly higher interest rate than what you could get for the same mortgage without the portability feature.
This type of mortgage can be great for those that have to move frequently because of their jobs. With this type of loan, you are not going to have to pay closing costs every time that you get a new mortgage. Therefore, you are going to save thousands of dollars every time that you move. Another big advantage to this type of loan is that you are going to be protected from interest rate increases. If you are forced to move without this type of mortgage, you are going to be subject to market interest rates when you get your new loan.
- Home Equity Loans for People with Bad Credit
- What To Do When Mortgages Default
- Appraisal Basics
- 3 Factors that Can Negatively Affect Your Mortgage Application
- 3 Warning Signs of Loan Modification Scams
- Alternatives to Getting a 2nd Mortgage
- How to Get Approved for an FHA Loan despite Bad Credit
- 3 Common Short Sale Mistakes
- Should You Refinance? Make Sure the Timing is Right