Explore the Mortgage101 Library
Check Local Mortgage Rates
Loan Program Choices
Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator
One of the biggest advantages of this type of loan is that you will be able to create a regular source of income for yourself. The lender is going to provide you with a monthly payment for an extended period. This allows retirees to supplement their incomes if they need to.
Another advantage of this type of loan is that you will never have to make any payments to the lender. Even after you have stopped receiving equity payments, you can continue to live in the property for as long as you want without making any payments.
A big disadvantage of using this program is that you will be eating up the equity in your home. This will not leave you with as much to leave to your beneficiaries if you wanted to leave them some type of inheritance.
Another disadvantage of this type of program is that you have to meet certain requirements in order to qualify. For example, you have to be at least 62 years old before you can benefit from this type of loan.
- Home Equity Loans for People with Bad Credit
- Short Selling a Rental Property
- What To Do When Mortgages Default
- Low Down Payment Loan Qualification
- 3 Factors that Can Negatively Affect Your Mortgage Application
- Second Mortgages: Advantages and Disadvantages
- 3 Reasons Banks Reject Short Sales
- 3 Warning Signs of Loan Modification Scams
- Appraisal Basics