Explore the Mortgage101 Library
Check Local Mortgage Rates
Today's Average 0.00%
Loan Program Choices
Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator
Many companies will charge a fee for lending you money. The fee is usually a percentage of the loan and is sometimes referred to as points. One point is equal to one percent of the amount you borrow. For example if you were to borrow $10000 with a fee of eight points you would pay $800 in "points." The number of points mortgage companies charge varies so it may be worthwhile to shop around. If the fee seems too high you may be able to bargain for or find a lower fee. Be sure to get the amount of the fee in writing before you take the loan. Many states limit the amount of fees a mortgage company may charge on a second mortgage loan. You may want to check with your state's consumer protection office or banking commissioner to determine whether there is a limit in your state."
- Should You Refinance? Make Sure the Timing is Right
- Short Selling a Rental Property
- 3 Factors that Can Negatively Affect Your Mortgage Application
- How to Get Approved for an FHA Loan despite Bad Credit
- Home Equity Loans for People with Bad Credit
- Alternatives to Getting a 2nd Mortgage
- What Lenders Don't Reveal About Home Equity Loans
- Appraisal Basics
- FHA Loans for a First-Time Home Buyer