Explore the Mortgage101 Library
Check Local Mortgage Rates
Loan Program Choices
Use our calculator to find out your estimated monthly payment in advance: Enter the loan amount, interest rate, and length of mortgage.
Try our Mortgage Payment Calculator
VA loans are loans that are provided for military members. The approval process is usually not as rigorous for a VA loan as it is for other types of loans, like conventional mortgages. A VA mortgage loan can be guaranteed with no down payment for up to more than $350,000. They do not have private mortgage insurance, or PMI.
Tip #1: Getting Pre-Approved
You will need to get pre-approved for your VA loan to know what your maximum loan amount will be because it will make searching for a home in the right price easy. Be sure to have the items the lender will request ready. The items will be DD214, picture identification, social security card, one month of paystubs and two years of W2 statements.
Tip #2: Checking Your Credit
If you have not made any late payments in the past year, the VA considers this a satisfactory demonstration of your willingness to repay your debts. Also, if you have never had any credit, you can show proof of your willingness to repay by providing copies of utility bills, cable bills, or any record of payments that you have made in a timely manner. Have your credit report issues resolved for your lender when you apply to make the process move faster.
- Low Down Payment Loan Qualification
- Short Selling a Rental Property
- Home Equity Loans for People with Bad Credit
- Second Mortgages: Advantages and Disadvantages
- What To Do When Mortgages Default
- 3 Factors that Can Negatively Affect Your Mortgage Application
- FHA Eligibility with Bankruptcy and Foreclosure
- 3 Common Short Sale Mistakes
- FHA Loans for a First-Time Home Buyer